Seasons Greetings. The Wild Fisheries Management Branch wish fishers a safe and happy holiday period. Keep safe and check the weather before heading out. Happy Fishing !

Information published from :


Ensure you get your licence in plenty of time before you plan to go fishing

Don't leave your licence purchase to the last minute, even if you plan to do it on-line.
Only major Service Tasmania shops will be open for business during the Christmas/ New Year period.
The Recreational Sea Fishing Section, Wild Fisheries Management Branch will be closed from 3:00 pm, 23 December 2016 until 3 January 2017.
You can purchase, check if your licence is current, get your licence number or change your details on line.

Not only fish get caught!
If you are buying rock lobster this festive season make sure it is a legally caught commercial rock lobster and has a Government-issued tag to distinguish it from recreational rock lobster. All lobsters taken by recreational fishers and aborigines engaged in an aboriginal activity must have the central tail fan clipped or have a 10 mm hole.
If you are offered a “deal” please contact Fishwatch on 0427 655 557 with the details.
Remember it is illegal to sell, buy, barter or raffle recreationally caught fish. Both the seller and the purchaser are liable for prosecution.

A hint about measuring your catch
Use an accurate measuring device. Make sure it is thin or has a chamfer that can go hard into fits hard into the middle notch between the antennal horns.
Further information on how to accurately measure your catch is available on our website

Sand and Tiger Flathead limits reminder
Sand and Tiger Flathead size limit have a minimum size limit of 32 cm. If you take undersize fish you risk our future fishery and you could be issued with a hefty fine.
Please report illegal fishing to Fishwatch.

Setting and Retrieving Fishing Gear FAQs
Can someone set or pull my fishing gear without me on the boat?
No. A person with more fishing gear in the boat than authorised fishers would be considered to be using excess gear.

Do I have to set or pull my own pot or net?
The licence holder or aboriginal engaged in a fishing activity must be participating in the fishing activity. A light bodied person or a person with a disability may be assisted by another person in pulling or setting their gear.
What happens if the weather is too rough and I cannot retrieve my gear? Your safety is important. If you cannot retrieve your gear due to bad weather, wait until the weather improves. If it will be more than the setting time limit, phone Fishwatch on 0427 655 557 and provide your details including your licence number.

Further information is available here

Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by