Another-nice-Mersey-brownA Slipin" And A Slidin" Today 7/10/2015

I headed on over to Mersylea this afternoon in what was beautiful weather conditions with just a light breeze and clear skies. I didn't arrive there until 3.00pm and then had a chat with a couple of young fella's having a spin from the river bank. They hadn't caught anything up to then, but had managed a couple of follows for the time they'd been there spinning. The river was clear and much lower today and was also in full sun. I recommended that they spin the shaded areas as that's more than likely the best place to pick up a trout in the bright conditions. I had to use my old Horne waist waders today as my breathables are down in Hobart at Fly & Dry having new stocking feet put on them as I've worn the other's out. Still they've lasted just over three years of some pretty heavy fishing days and months of continual river fishing. So today it was back to the old way of how I waded the rivers and fished for trout for quite a lot of years in the heavy rubber waders and boots.


After a brief walk through some paddocks and long grass I was at the river. Well, the first step into a slippery, rocky Mersey River I nearly went head over heels. What a difference it was to get back into a river in these old heavy waders and rubber boots with no grip at all. It was then I thought to myself, how the hell did I manage to wade and fish the rivers for 5 and 6 hours a session in these waders. I now knew why I was so knackered after each and every trip spent in a river. I didn't dare go out in the deeper runs today as I new I would be struggling to stay upright for long, so I stayed in water well below the knees. The first few cast with the little black fury across the fast water and then letting it drift with the flow I did manage a hit and miss from a reasonable size brown. That was it for the next couple of hundred meters before I finally picked up a small 270gm brown from under the willows.

I continued slipping and sliding my way upstream still staying in shallow water as not to go backside up. I did catch and release another three small browns before I decided I'd had enough of putting up with trying to kill myself in these waders. In the end I had only fished for just on an hour for the four little browns which wasn't too bad given what I had put myself through. I can tell you here and now, I wont be getting back into a river until I get my other waders back that's for sure. I was told I may have them back by this Friday which is great as they only received them yesterday, great service or sure. Anyway it's the big weekend for me from 12 noon on Friday through to Sunday as it's "'BATHURST TIME'" on TV for three days. Whoo!! Hoo!! Still I may sneak a session in early on the Saturday morning and be home by noon??

All calm on the Mersey



Low Sun on the Mersey



Another nice Mersey Brown


Go to top
JSN Boot template designed by