The Australian Recreational Fishing Foundation (ARFF) representing Australia’s recreational fishing community today released its Platform for the upcoming Federal Election. The Platform titled “Go Fishing - It’s great for you and our nation” focuses on increasing the recognition of recreational fishing with the Government and the community.
Allan Hansard, Managing Director of the Australian Recreational Fishing Foundation said “Australia’s 5 million strong recreational fishing community contributes an estimated $10 billion to Australia’s local communities each year. In addition, there is growing evidence that recreational fishing is also good for your health and wellbeing. In other words, everyone benefits from going for a fish! “ Click here for the PDF
“Australia’s recreational fishers are looking for a Government that understands recreational fishing. A Government that understands the significant economic, social and environmental benefits recreational fishing brings to recreational fishers and the broader Australian community.”
The platform outlines 12 initiatives that if adopted will see a paradigm change in how we perceive and manage our aquatic environment and fisheries. This will result in significant increase in the triple bottom line benefits to all Australians for years to come. They will also enhance and protect our unique marine and riverine environments for generations to come. The initiatives include:
- A National Recreational Fishing Council
- No Industrial Scale Fishing of the Small Pelagic Fishery
- A National Boating and Fishing Infrastructure Fund
- A Grass Roots Action to Improve Marine and Riverine Habitat
- Marine Parks are for Everyone - Don’t Lock us Out!
- More Marine Habitat = More Fish
- Eradicating European Carp
- A National Economic Study
- Enhanced Investment in Fisheries Research
- Helping Recreational Fishers Gather Scientific Data
- A National Gone Fishing Day
- A National Recreational Fishing Development Program
“We propose that these initiatives be implemented through a true partnership between the Government and the recreational fishing community.”
“We encourage all political parties, large and small, to adopt our platform.” Mr Hansard concluded.